I’ve just seen some initial plans for a community centre on this development. The plans are simply a draft that invites people to comment and radically change them. What are the essentials that need to go into the design of a community centre?
Here are my thoughts, but I’d welcome suggestions from others:
- There needs to be an office for the centre management company / administrator to work out of.
- some changing rooms – the centre will double as changing for some sports pitches next door (but not too many)
- the plans currently show one hall (size of a badminton court) and one small meeting room and a kitchen. I think we need one hall and two meeting rooms, or one hall and a larger meeting room that can be divided into two.
- audio / visual equipment in hall and meeting room
- the kitchen must be accessible by a hatch into the hall and preferably into one of the meeting rooms as well.
- The hall should have store cupboards built in for storage of tables, chairs, toddler group toys, badminton net and other equipment.
- The hall needs to be good for sound (i.e. not too echoey), especially if we want to hire it out to external groups for concerts, or even just an event with a talk. This is especially important for a church.
- Need to make sure there are baby changing facilities.
- I personally do not think we need to have a stocked bar. On the occasions when a bar is required, a temporary license can be sought and then you leave the whole of the management of the bar in the hands of whoever is arranging the event.
I think that the key for the centre is – what do we envision it being used for. As a church i would want to use the main hall and probably two meeting rooms and a kitchen on a sunday morning. Midweek we may want to put on lunches or other events with food. I’m sure that a toddler group would be started, so would need storage for the toys in the hall and a hatch from the kitchen to serve tea and coffee from.
It also might be nice if there was a large opening glass door that could be slid back for summer events which might want a flow between outside and inside.
Is there anything I’ve missed?